If you are looking to start a blog or build a website for your business, you’re going to need a domain name the place on the internet where your website lives and where people can go to access your site. The first step towards building a successful website is to find a domain name and register it. In this article we will show you how to register a domain name.
When should I register a domain name?
As soon as possible, because every single day more than 46,000 new domain names are being registered. Smart entrepreneurs know that one of the very first things you should do is register your domain name once you have named your business. This can be done long before a website is even built.
How much does a domain name cost?
On average, a .com domain name costs $14.99 per year. The cost of a domain name varies based on each different extension. We recommend getting a .com domain because this is where most people are programmed to automatically go and type in. namecheap.com offers domain names from just $8.88 and .net domains for $11.98.
How do I choose a domain name?
The name of your domain is extremely important because you want people to be able to find your website. You don’t want your domain name to be too long or hard to spell because that will make it hard for people to find you successfully and easily.
- Make sure your domain name reflects your business, is easy to pronounce, easy to spell and as short as possible
- Stick with the .com extension because most users find these easier to remember than other extensions
- Use your keywords and brand name in the domain name search
- Stay away from numbers and hyphens in your domain name. It makes them harder to pronounce and remember
How to register with namecheap.com
This is a great example of how to register a domain name.
- First you will choose whether you want .co, .so., us., .com and so forth
- Enter the name of the domain that your are hoping to get
- If the name is not available, the system will suggest similar names for your domain
- Now you will register for your domain and have the option to add on web hosting, SSL security features, professional email, WordPress hosting, VPN and even business cards
- You will also be asked if you would like WhoisGuard which hides your personal information from the public domain registry
- You can sign up for auto-renew so that you never accidentally let your domain name expire
- Next you will check out with all of the extras you have added on and your domain name will be live!
The importance of choosing a .com domain name
When you get a .com domain, you’re buying the most universal domain extension out there. Every country, every market, every business… it’s recognized and respected. Whether you want to take on the world, or just your closest competitors, a .com shows everyone that you’re for real. Choosing a name is the best thing to do before you read more about how to register a domain name!
Don’t forget to renew!
Different domain name platforms have different lengths but sadly none of them are “one and done” deals. This means, depending on your plan, you will have to renew your domain name every year, two years or possibly up to five years. It’s critical that you remember to renew your domain name otherwise customers will no longer be able to access your website because your domain name will do dark.
If you don’t catch the error within a couple of weeks, your domain name will be back up for sale and somebody can take it right from you! Set a reminder in your calendar when your domain name renewal is approaching to make sure you don’t find yourself in this situation.
Can I buy an existing domain name?
If the domain name that you are hoping for is already taken, you are not completely out of luck. You can use websites like sedo.com to try and acquire an existing domain name. There’s no guarantee you’ll be able to buy a domain name from somebody, especially if it’s a large, successful company that simply needs their domain name for business. This is another easy way of how to register a domain name
Final thoughts on how to register a domain name
If you are looking to build an online business, getting a domain name should be one of the first steps to consider. Registering a domain name is usually pretty fast, as long as the domain name is available. Read another article on how to register a domain name or view more at TechDescribed.com.