How to fix Fortnite Error Code 20006: Fortnite is one of the most widely played games of today’s era. Just like PUBG, Fortnite also offers excellent graphics and user-experience. This game has been developed by Epic Games and was launched couple of years ago in 2017. Fortnite is available on multiple platforms including Android, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, XBox One, iOS, MAC, and Microsoft Windows.
Fortnite usually gives you a smooth user experience. You will hardly face any glitches while installing, updating, or playing Fortnite on your device. However, no matter how good a game or an app is, it can never be 100% free from errors and Fortnite is no different. A handful of users have reported facing few issues while playing Fortnite on their respective devices. In this article, we will be dealing with one such issue.
A lot of Fortnite users reported facing an error while launching the game on their Windows device. As soon as they launch the game, they started getting an error message saying:
Couldn’t start the game. Error Code 20006 (Cannot create service (StartService failed:193))
This Fortnite error code 20006 restricted the users from moving ahead and playing the game. Users tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game but nothing worked for them. So, we decided to come up with a short yet powerful tutorial to fix Fortnite Error Code 20006. Once you implement the methods that we have shared, you should no more be getting the error message: Couldn’t start the game. Error Code 20006. So, let us start implementing the methods now.
Also Read: How to Change Name in PUBG Mobile.
What Causes Fortnite Error Code 20006?
- Fortnite not installed properly.
- Files are placed at incorrect paths.
- Corrupted/outdated system configuration files.
- EasyAntiCheat (EAC) not loading properly.
If you are also facing Fortnite Error Code 20006, please go through the next section which describes the methods to fix this error code.
How to fix Fortnite Error Code 20006: Couldn’t start the game?
In this section, we will give you all the relevant methods to fix Fortnite Error Code 20006. Please make sure you follow all the steps with utmost care and concentration.
Method 1: Repair Fortnite
Epic Games provide a provision to repair all the games it offers. So, you can easily repair Fortnite and get rid of Fortnite Error Code 20006. You can follow the steps mentioned below to repair Fortnite on your Windows device.
- Go to C:/Program Files/Epic Games/Fortnite/FortniteGame/Binaries/Win64/EasyAntiCheat. This is the default installation directory of Fortnite. If you have installed Fortnite on any other directory, please browse to that directory.
- Double click on EasyAntiCheat_Setup.exe. This will load an installation system.
- Make sure you have Fortnite selected in the drop down.
- Now click on Repair Service button. This will take few seconds.
- Once the repair is complete, try launching Fortnite on your system and check if the error still persists.
This method has worked for almost all the users. So, we strongly recommend implementing this method before going to any other fix. However, if this couldn’t help you fix Fortnite Error Code 20006, you need not worry at all. You can opt for any of the methods mentioned below so that you can get rid of Fortnite Error Code 20006 and enjoy playing Fortnite.
Method 2: Rename EasyAntiCheat.sys file
This method has also helped a lot of users in fixing Fortnite Error Code 20006. This method is extremely easy to implement and will hardly take 2-3 minutes.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers.
- Look for EasyAntiCheat.sys file.
- Rename this file to anything like EasyAntiCheat_old.sys file.
- Logout of the game. Login again and restart Fortnite.
- Now you should not be getting Fortnite Error Code 20006.
Method 3: Verify Fortnite Files
This is also one of the critical methods that one should opt for. It repairs the game without re-downloading it. You can follow the steps mentioned below to implement this method.
- Go to C:/Program Files/Epic Games/Fortnite/FortniteGame/Binaries/Win64/.
- Look for FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe file. Once you find it, simply delete this file.
- Now click on Epic Games Launcher.
- Just below Fortnite, select cog on the Launch button.
- Select Verify option from the drop down.
Wait for this process to complete. Once it is over, you should be able to start the game properly.
Method 4: Use System File Checker to Repair System Files
If none of the methods mentioned above were able to fix Fortnite Error Code 20006, it may be possible that there is nothing wrong with your Fortnite installation. Rather, some of the files on Windows device could be the culprit. But one good thing is that you can repair those corrupted files using built-in command provided by Windows – that is – sfc.
Please follow the steps mentioned in this short tutorial to repair corrupted and outdated system files on your Windows device.
This should be able to fix Fortnite Error Code 20006.
So, these were the few methods to fix Fortnite Error Code 20006: Couldn’t start the game. Hope you liked this article on How to fix Fortnite Error Code 20006: Couldn’t start the game. In case of any issues or concerns, feel free to reach out to us via comments. We will try to resolve any of your queries at the earliest.